Sunday, May 20, 2012

The wisdom of Solomon

"Do you think I'd be better in a home?" my mom asked yesterday. Now there's a double-edged sword of a question if ever there was one. If I answer honestly, I will not only hurt mom's feelings, I will set myself for "you just want to put me in a home" comments on the bad days. If I answer "no". I'm lying to my mom, something I've been taught never to do.

Mom's nutrition would certainly be better in a long term care home. She has a bite of breakfast, whatever I make her for lunch, and lives on Ensure or Boost the rest of the time. I've left sandwiches for her and thrown them out days later. I've put the sandwiches ON the bottles of Boost in the fridge, so mom had to move them and she still chose the Ensure over the sandwich. She goes through a bunch of this stuff in a week. She likes it, and it's keeping her alive. If her meals were provided, she would eat more real food.

Mom would sit in her room. But then, she currently sits in her apartment, so it wouldn't be much different. My mom has never felt the need for a large circle of friends. She's shy and private and would decide that people aren't friendly, oblivious to the fact that if she'd smile and say hello, people might say hello back...

Mom would have to share a room. That is the economic reality of our situation. We don't have enough money for a private room and there is no house to sell to provide the income. Sharing a room is one of the reasons mom doesn't want to go to a home.

For me, there is no easy answer to that question. I'm dreading the summer, when my daughter is out of school. We're trying to find summer camps for her, but it won't cover all the weeks. It's not fun at grandma's anymore, and the Kid doesn't want to go. I'll have to think up some alternatives for the days when she will have to come with me. I can't find a WIFI signal, so Netflix on my laptop isn't an option. I may have to make do with the portable DVD player.

If mom were in a home, I could skip a day occasionally without panicking that she hasn't eaten. We might be able to plan an overnight holiday. I could get my work done without one eye on the clock.  But I couldn't just go in and make our cup of tea, and it wouldn't be home anymore.

Mom went wandering the other day. At least, when we got to mom's apartment with the flowers for her balconey pots, she wasn't in the it. Now granted, she only went down to get the mail, but what if she decides that she's going to go back to church instead? She wouldn't have her walker-she only uses Myrtle under protest-and what if she got partway there and couldn't remember how to get back? I do have spies in the building, but that would tip the balance for me into time to move zone.

I answered mom honestly. I told her that in some ways, she would be better in a long term care home, but I also knew it was her worst nightmare. I've only toured one so far, but it was bright and cheerful and the people were well taken care of and happy. I know I need to get the list in so that we can get on the waiting lists, but I'm stalling. I keep telling myself that I'm waiting until after the biopsy to decide, but I'm just postponing the inevitable and hoping that God will grant mom's prayer and take her to heaven before she has to leave her apartment. There is no win in this.

2 comments:

  1. There are no wins, you're right. The only thing that comes to mind is that you have to do whatever it takes to keep your mom safe. If she's not safe where she is, either because she can wander or because she can leave the stove on, then that has to be taken into consideration. Hate that you're going through this. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, mom hasn't used the stove in months. She had stopped using it before our trip to dementiaville started in January. I don't think she remembers how to use the microwave. She lives on what home care and I put in front of her, and Ensures/Boost the rest of the time.
    I do take all of that into consideration. And it scares me.

    ReplyDelete